Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Skateboarder

This is how I made a skateboarder from modelling chocolate and fondant.
Start bottom up. Make shoes and socks. Skewer through one shoe and build up the legs. I inserted a toothpick in the other leg just to keep it straight. I used a mix of 50-50 modelling chocolate and fondant. This takes advantage of both worlds - the workability and springiness of fondant and the strength of modelling chocolate. Usually with just fondant, I'll have to leave this to dry at least overnight if not a few days. 
But with modelling chocolate in the mix, I can keep working and build up the pants as well. Would you believe it, this is standing on its own, no propping up. Can't do that with pure fondant. And... no cracking, no elephant skin wrinkling. Gotta be happy with that!
Oh, this is how I made the pants... one leg at a time. Shape a sausage, insert a skewer and roll the skewer around to hollow out the sausage and make a pant leg. Make 2 of these and stick them together to form a pair.
I kept going, no need for drying time, added the t-shirt and neck. Just about complete at this stage. The Mambo name and logo are hand-drawn on white fondant and stuck on the t-shirt.
Next, sleeves were attached. I then made the arms and hands, left l for about 1 minute and attached to the sleeves, again no need to prop up. They basically stayed where I intended them to. Attach head and he's ready to partay!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers.com

Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers