Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tractor and cats

Made this Tractor and Cats cake for afternoon tea. The cake is to celebrate the end of fieldwork (tractor in the field) and to cheer up friends at work who have been working so hard chasing for monitoring data from various policy areas. We often say "it's like herding cats" and that's what the red cats represent. I'm quite pleased with this effort coz it took me only 6 hours in total, and that includes making the white chocolate cake batter from scratch and baking it (I don't believe in pre-mixes), making the white TimTams filling, carving the cake (with a little bit of help from hubby!), icing the cake, AND making the fondant tractor and cats. Not too bad, eh?



I was a bit concerned about how the cake turned out because this is the first time I'm baking a full-sized cake as opposed to small cakes like cupcakes. I got the recipe from my Planet Cake book. It's a dense white chocolate cake suitable for carving and sculpting and it will not crumble or fall apart. The recipe says bake in 180C for 1 hour 40 minutes and I thought, "gee... that must not be right coz cupcakes take only 10 minutes." So, I was checking the cake every 10 minutes after the first hour, but Paris Cutler was totally right - the cake was done in exactly 1 hour 40 minutes! And, unlike cupcakes, there's no prior tasting... I mean, I cannot just cut a slice of the cake to try! So, it was fingers crossed and watching people's expressions as they take that first bite.... they love it! Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers.com

Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers