Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Uncle Bill's racing cake

A 90th birthday cake for Jo's uncle who likes horse racing. 
I make LCM shapes for the horses - head, body and legs.
Cover the shapes with fondant.
Assemble the body and leave it to harden overnight. My trusty silicone petit four mould to the rescue, as usual.
Next day I attach the heads and use paper towels to hold them in place. I then leave these for a few days to dry out and harden properly. This is necessary to ensure that the legs would support the weight of the body and head.
Add details. I pipe the hair and tail using a Makins clay extruder - used only for fondant. If you have a clay extruder that you've used for clay or polymer clay, you need to get a new one. I never mix food tools with non-food tools. The same goes for brushes and other equipment.
Don't forget to make 2 holes for the nostrils.
For the ears, start with 2 small teardrops.
Make a line indent on each teardrop.
Attach the ears.
I cut a cardboard cake board into a rectangular shape and cover with green fondant. I make railings out of toothpicks covered in white fondant.
Fine details are added - jockey complete with boots and caps and a fallen jockey adds to the drama.
Final cake is quite different from what I've originally planned! I initially thought of a rectangular cake iced with buttercream (Jo wanted the most simple flavours) and covered with green tinted desiccated coconut, topped with the horses and race track. But when I completed the topper, I realised I didn't have a cake box large enough for a rectangular cake. So, the cake design was converted from rectangular to round. Can't take credit for the design, though coz I found heaps of cakes like this on google. BUT, I can take credit for the fallen jockey idea! LOL.





1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome cake Trish... but would expect no less from your talented hands and brain .. :)

    ReplyDelete

Bloggers.com

Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers